Scouts take an Oath “to help other people at all times,” and to “Do a Good Turn Daily”. Part of this includes completing service hours. Service hours are required for advancement, and they are not cumulative. Below see a list required service hours by rank and merit badge and a list of local Community Service Organizations. Troop 101 also organizes a limited number of community service outings.
- Tenderfoot, requirement 7b: One hour of service
- Second Class,requirement 8e: Two hours of service
- First Class, requirement 9d: Three hours of service
- Star, requirement 4: Six hours of service
- Life, requirement 4: Six hours of service, at least three of which are conservation-related
- Eagle Scout: The Eagle Scout service project
Some merit badges have a separate requirement for service hours as well. These cannot be combined with the ones used for rank advancement.
- Citizenship in the Community 8 hours service with a charitable organization.